This week’s roundup of news from the UK railway industry.
Network Rail carries out £2m spring clean to clear graffiti
Network Rail said its teams removed and painted over graffiti at hotspots and applied anti-graffiti paint to deter people from targeting the same areas in future.
Enjoy more Railways Illustrated Magazine reading every month.
Click here to subscribe & save.
Passenger train narrowly avoided hitting two cars at user-operated crossing
A passenger train narrowly avoided striking two cars at a user-operated crossing after the drivers failed to call the signaller to check the route was clear, an investigation has found.
Sir Nigel Gresley returns to action next week
A short midday ceremony at Kidderminster station will mark the occasion.
Union hails support for strikes by railway workers and cleaners
Strikes by railway workers and cleaners in two separate disputes over pay were said to be “solidly supported” on Sunday.
Latest Service Updates
Gatwick Express – Gatwick Express services have been reinstated as of April 3rd 2022.
Hull Trains – Hull Trains are currently running a reduced service, in line with passenger demand and current government advice.
If you need to travel this weekend, here are planned works that may affect your journey.
Our transport network has never been cleaner. Imperial College London run monthly tests for coronavirus on the transport network and found no trace. You can read their recently published report.
Air continuously flows through all our trains, trams and buses. For example, on average, air in a Tube train changes every few minutes. Buses are fitted with air extraction and ventilation systems and we also leave windows open throughout the passenger area to keep a flow of fresh air.
Please continue to walk or cycle part of your journey where possible. If using public transport, travel during quieter times if you can. This will make social distancing easier. The quieter times to travel are:
- Between 08:15 and 16:00 and after 17:30 on weekdays
- Before noon and after 18:00 on weekends
Our TfL Go app can help you plan your journey and show the quieter times to travel.
You must continue to wear a face-covering over your nose and mouth at all times when on the transport network, unless exempt. The overwhelming majority of people are complying with this requirement, and the British Transport Police, the Metropolitan Police and our own officers are on the network to check compliance. Fines of up to £6,400 exist for anyone who does not comply.
Please also wash or sanitise your hands before and after travel.
- RMT STRIKE ACTION: There is planned strike action every Friday and Saturday night between 2030 and 0429 the following morning until Sunday 19 June.
- DISTRICT LINE: Good Friday 15, Saturday 16, Easter Sunday 17 and Easter Monday 18 April, no service between Tower Hill and West Ham. Replacement buses operate. Easter Sunday 17 April, no service between Turnham Green and Richmond. No London Overground service between Willesden Junction and Richmond. Replacement buses operate.
- DOCKLANDS LIGHT RAILWAY: Good Friday 15, Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 April, no service between Prince Regent and Beckton.
- HAMMERSMITH & CITY LINE: Good Friday 15, Saturday 16, Sunday 17 and Easter Monday 18 April, no service on the whole line.
- NORTHERN LINE: From Saturday 15 January until mid May 2022, no service between Moorgate and Kennington due to major upgrade works. NORTHERN LINE: Good Friday 15 and Saturday 16 April, no service between Euston (Bank Branch) / Charing Cross and Stockwell / Battersea Power Station.
- PICCADILLY LINE: Good Friday 15, Saturday 16, Easter Sunday 17 and Easter Monday 18 April, no service between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge. Please use Metropolitan line services instead.
- WATERLOO & CITY LINE: Closed on weekends and public bank holidays.
- Easter Sunday 17 April, until 1015, no service between Liverpool Street and Chingford. Please use London Underground connections between Liverpool Street and Walthamstow Central.
- Easter Sunday 17 April, until 1015, no service between Liverpool Street and Enfield Town / Cheshunt
- Easter Sunday 17 April, no service between Willesden Junction and Richmond.
- Good Friday 15, Saturday 16, Easter Sunday 17 and Easter Monday 18 April, no service between Kilburn High Road and Euston.
Check before you travel and plan your journey ahead of time.